Vendors and government bodies must work much closer together to ensure the success of the G-Cloud framework for public sector cloud computing, according to industry group EuroCloud UK. The group has published a draft manifesto for G-Cloud calling, among other things, for more resources and education for government buyers.
A third of EuroCloud UK's members currently participate in G-Cloud, ranging from small businesses to Amazon Web Services, Fujitsu Huddle and IBM.
The seven-point manifesto calls for:
- Ongoing commitment to G-Cloud from the Cabinet Office and Crown Commercial Service as a way of enhancing public sector IT procurement and delivering proven benefits of cloud adoption including cost savings, rapid deployment, greater choice and agility.
- Vendors and buyers to publicly share best practices and celebrate success stories.
- A more aggressive programme of resources and education for public sector buyers demonstrating how to maximise the benefits of using the framework and drive the transition to cloud computing services. Government must take the lead but should actively enlist the help and support of the industry.
- Industry to work with government to develop and provide much-needed resources and education for vendors on how to be productive and successful as a G-Cloud supplier.
- Greater collaboration among vendors and with public sector buyers to fill gaps in market needs through enhanced and improved G-Cloud offerings, including development of innovative new services.
- Open dialogue with the Government Digital Service and Crown Commercial Service to ensure the framework iteratively improves, taking account of industry and buyer needs and feedback on its operation through the Digital Marketplace.
- Promoting and adapting best practices and products developed for G-Cloud to the private sector business market.
Dave Denton and Peter Middleton, former members of the G-Cloud team who have taken a co-shared seat on Eurocloud UK's executive board, said in a statement: "The public sector needs suppliers who understand the vision and principles that support G-Cloud and who can gain the confidence of buyers. Cloud based IaaS, PaaS and SaaS suppliers can make a huge contribution to help achieve greater value for money and deliver better public services."
Chair of EuroCloud UK Phil Wainewright said: "G-Cloud is a great UK success story that deserves the support of the industry to help it achieve even more in the future. With our broadly based membership drawn from across the breadth of the UK cloud industry, EuroCloud is uniquely placed to co-ordinate these efforts and maximise the benefits to public sector organisations and the taxpayers who support them."